Background

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Recruiter on the Road: Dayton

These are a few of my favorite things...
After two years of travel, packing becomes sort of routine. Unmentionables. Check. Toiletries. Check. Pajamas. Check. You know, you’ve packed for overnight travel before. But when I’m traveling for work, there are a few items I have to remember not to forget (I am super forgetful-lists galore-like today for example? I forgot white socks. Sorry Nikes!)


Sugar Free Vitamin C Halls: Talk Talk Talk and Talk some more. Dry throat needs Halls. Orange, lemon and grapefruit flavors? Um, yes. Vitamin C to fend off all the germies? Double Yes. 


Water Bottle: Again, dry throat. Lots of talking. My lovely colleague Marianna had these little dittys made this year for our Gatton Welcome event. My Gatton water bottle not only serves as a beautiful addition to my table display, but serves as my attempt at being "green" for the day.

A Book: I hate eating alone. When I travel, I eat a lot of meals solo. So I’m either on my computer (at Panera on the wireless *however, mad at Panera today for limiting me to 30 minutes when the place wasn't even busy-grrr), or checking out a local restaurant and reading a book. This week I am working through Tobias Wolff’s This Boy's Life, for school. Great writer if you are looking for a book to read.

Travel Binder: I have so many pieces of paper to keep track of...credit card authorization form, tax exempt form, copy of driver's license, copy of work credit card, hotel confirmation, directions, hotel receipts...that this year I just made a binder. I have little sheet protectors, and page dividers for each week. Helps me *pretend* to be organized. 


Camera: Never know when you are going to see the perfect shot.


Cell Phone Equipped with GPS: Since I got a cell phone back in 1999, I’ve had the cheap free version. I honestly never cared for all of the fancy things that phones could do. I’m simple like that. But, I’m also directionally challenged. For instance  today yesterday (sorry, limited wifi on this trip), I’m cruising along, headed to Dayton, right? Except my hotel is in Cincinnati, because that’s where our next event is. So naturally, I take the exit toward Dayton. Wait. Wasn’t I supposed to take exit 1B here? Whoops. So I detour at the next exit. That’s where my fancy smart phone comes in handy. I press one button and speak the address of my desired location into the phone, and it begins navigation. Done and done. Rerouted and after a slight detour through Cincinnati, I am on my way to the correct part of the city for hotel check in. If I had my way, my GPS lady would instead be a male with a British accent. She speaks funny and she mispronounces words. In Lexington, Chinoe (Shin/Chin-o-way) becomes “Canoe-y.”



Our event in Dayton was at the Marriott right smack dab in the middle of the University of Dayton’s campus. Smack-dab-in-the-middle-smack-in-the-face, huh? Hello we are UK and we are stealing all of your prospective students, thanks.com! Windy day here in Ohio, but it feels like fall and I love every second of it!

Yes, our staff spends a lot of time every night 
assembling this replica of Commonwealth 
Stadium made from bag clips. 

Already working on today's post from Cincinnati/Covington! More soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment