Background

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Recruiter in Town! Lexington

You know what? I was in the office yesterday. An actual whole day to catch up on emails and other things. But, that meant I forgot that I am a blogger. I left work and went to work, down to Rupp Arena in Lexington for our See Blue Preview Night. I never heard final numbers, but I know they were expecting about 1,200 students to show up. And it felt like every bit of that. Luckily, I had six Gatton students helping me out! Here is a picture of (a few of) us with the Wildcat. He was very sweaty!


Oh my goodness I can't wait for my haircut next week! Speaking of which. I just tried on hairstyles on the InStyle website, and the celebrity style that looked best on me (IMHO) was Sarah Palin's. Hmmmmm.

Because I was so busy yesterday and last night and didn't take a lot of photos, today I am going to give you some college/career/life search tips. I speak to soooo many students who have no freakin' clue what it is that they want to do when they grow up.

Come on, really? 

I had a vague notion when I was in high school (I wanted to be the next Diane Sawyer). Now, I took a different path after I discovered during my internship that I didn't have the invasive personality required for the newsroom. That's where transferable skills come into play.

So for the students who have no clue...(and the 30/20 somethings who have no clue) here are some of the snippets of advice that I give:

1. Think Geographically: Sometimes I have students who know they want to be a sports agent, but they are only willing to live in Breckinridge County. Ok. Not many opportunities there for the athletics niche outside of coaching the Beck Co. Tigers in high school football. So think about where  it is that you might want to end up, and do a google search to see what kid of opportunities exist in that market...and see what sounds interesting. Then it might be easier to select a major/job path based on availability of opportunities and the economy in that market.

2. Use Your Resources: Do your parents have friends with jobs that sound cool? Do your friends' parents have jobs that sound cool? Can you shadow them for a day and see if their area of work is something that you can see yourself doing everyday and being passionate about (which leads to my next tip)?

3. Decide What You are Passionate About: Is there one thing that you love doing in your spare time that you would love to be able to turn into a career? Good Example: Reading, so I want to be a Literary Agent. Bad Example: Dungeons and Dragons...Exactly.

4. Don't Do Something Just Because Mom/Dad Thinks it is a Good Idea: Mom and Dad don't have to get up and go to this job everyday, you do. So YOU need to be the one making the decision about what to do with the rest of your life. I don't care how many opportunities there are for accountants in your home town, if you hate math, accounting is not a good career path for you.

Simple, huh? Should be easy enough to find that dream job now! No See Blue Preview Night tonight (yay!). Tomorrow we are off to London (not England, Kentucky) and then to the big BG. Can't wait for my BG post, it is sure to be epic!

No comments:

Post a Comment