Background

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Family Time: Keenland Sale

Ok, I think I've discovered why I am obsessed with barns...because I grew up in one!


I know that's just a silly cliche expression, like, when you leave the front door open someone might say, "Gosh, did you grow up in a barn?"


But, I actually did. See, my daddy is a retired horse trainer. So when I was growing up I spent a lot of time on the backside of Churchill Downs. In a barn.

I was driving back to Lexington from Bowling Green on Friday, just headed down Versailles Road, when I remembered that my daddy was in Lexington for the Keenland Sale. So I made a quick pit stop at Keenland before I went back to campus.



Watching my dad work with horses is something amazing. 




And don't be fooled, even though I am turning 30 this month I am not too old to say, "Daddy! I want a pony!" Which is basically what happens every time I am around horses. (I want a gray one)



Have you ever been to the Keenland Sale? No? Well, this visit wasn't the official sale, where they parade the horses around the sales pavilion and then people spend thousands and millions of dollars to buy them. Today was just individual showings, where prospective buyers go around looking at horses. Sort of like an open house before an auction.  

My brother, dad, and Mr. Marcocchio check out this horse

The horses walk around and my dad can just look at them and say this, that, and the other about their gait and their muscles, etc. I'm like, "how can he tell that in 30 seconds?" And my brother explained that after you work with them for so long you can just look at them and know these things.


For instance, look at the set of nostrils on this guy!!! But my dad said that's a good thing. 

Beautiful Fall Day. Lovely Family Time. Life doesn't get much better than this. 





No comments:

Post a Comment