Background

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Crafty McCrafterson: Halloweenie

Is anyone else obsessed with Pinterest? It inspires me to go to Michael's and stock up on all kinds of crafty goodness. My inspiration for this Crafty McCrafterson post was all of those yarn holiday wreaths you see on Pinterest. And my Roomie just made one that was pretty cute too.

Here is how it turned out...

I think it looks really cute from the road!

Here's how I made it.

1. I bought one of those hay wreaths that you find at Michael's or Hobby Lobby, but make sure you leave the plastic wrap on! Then buy the color yarn you want to use for the base layer. Start wrapping!


2. Once you've covered the whole wreath in the base layer of your choice, add the top elements. I purchased a wooden spider from Michael's and attempted to paint it with sparkly Martha Stewart paint. It didn't cover it well enough, so I ended up spray painting it with a brushed nickle spray paint I had in the garage.


I also bought a little spider kit that happened to be in my color scheme.


I cut diamond shapes out of felt (I really need a cricut! I am a horrible cutter). First I layered purple yarn over my base layer in a criss-cross pattern. Then I stuck the felt diamonds underneath the x's I made to hold it in place.


I tied the spider in place and then tied a little loop of yarn on the back so I could hang this from a normal wreath hanger over my front door. Voila! All of the products in total cost me about $20. If I was an extreme couponer, I could've gotten it for much less, I'm sure. I can envision some really cute Christmas and Valentine ideas for yarn projects! How would you decorate your yarn wreath?

No comments:

Post a Comment