Background

Thursday, October 27, 2011

ADPi Time: Welcome to the Neighborhood

As I write this post, I am sitting in the kitchen part of the living quarters of Alpha Delta Pi Memorial Headquarters, looking out over Ponce de Leon Ave. My return flight to Lexington does not depart until later this evening, so I have some time to introduce you all to the neighborhood that is Ponce.


First, I was in Atlanta this week for another Alpha Delta Pi technology discussion, this time for our website. If you all get a moment, cruise over to the current ADPi website and tell me what you like and hate about it in comparison to other Greek organizations. K? Thanks. 

When I was in college, I just assumed that the ADPI "Headquarters" was some office building. I didn't consider where it was located, what part of Atlanta it was in (I didn't know if I was supposed to put the "NE" on the Ponce de Leon part of the address when I mailed off a form, or if it went in front of Atlanta, like NE Atlanta...), or really, just who worked there. Did the International President (Or Grand President, as she was called way back then) live at Executive Office? (No. She lives in her own normal home wherever that might be.)


So let me take you on a little tour of Ponce de Leon.


Alpha Delta Pi Executive Office is located in the posh Druid Hills neighborhood. And if I lived in Druid Hills, yes, I would want my future children to go to this darling school...


Springdale Park Elementary School, or SPARK, as they affectionately call it.




So let me show you some of the houses on the block. 










And they do a lot of decoratin' for Halloween...




It was a lovely visit to the ATL, and I shall return again for more technology madness in November. 

Before I made my way down to Atlanta this week, I drove up to Highland Heights, Kentucky, specifically to Northern Kentucky University, to participate in an Alpha Delta Pi expansion presentation.


Expansion is the name for the process when a college decides to add a new Greek chapter on campus. A team of Alpha Delta Pi alumnae and collegians presented to the current NKU Greek community. If we are awarded the opportunity to colonize a chapter at NKU I can see myself being very involved in this process, as they are right up the road from me! This will result in more travel, but also more excuses to blog:)

Now, I must sneak in a quick power nap before I head to the airport. Posh and lavish as the Druid Hills 'hood is, it is also very scary sleeping in this big old house by yourself...so I didn't get much sleep last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment