Background

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Recruiter on the Road: Legendary Owensboro

The journey from Hopkinsville to Owensboro was legendary for several reasons.
1. Back roads with lots to see...(and stop the state car to photograph)



2. Barns galore





3. Little stop in Calhoun



4. Elton John: While scanning, I happened to stop on "Candle in the Wind 1997," the Elton John remake highlighting the life and death of Princess Diana. Fourteen years ago today, Princess Diana died, and I learned that I am a psychic. Shhhh. Don't tell anybody. That, again, is a story for another day, but the short version is that I woke up and knew Diana was dead. This was before cell phones, and I didn't have a tv in my room. I had a dream about it, came downstairs in my pjs, and said to my mom, Princess Diana died, didn't she? And she looked at me like I was crazy. And I just might be.

Goodbye England's Rose...This photograph was taken in the 
Royal Botanical Gardens during my summer 
trip to Edinburgh, not Owensboro. 

But anywho...one of my favorite lines in Elton John's song is, "Your candle burned out long before your legend ever will."


And I think that's how we should all hope to live our lives, in a way that allows us to make a difference; an impact that will carry on when we are long gone. It was a great reminder to me that I should be focusing on my dreams and my passions and the bigger picture of my legacy.

Speaking of the legendary Princess Diana, if I hear one more person say, "Oh, your ring looks just like Kate Middleton's," I might have to come up with a new, less gracious response. A. It's DIANA'S ring (not that I don't like Catherine, but she is not legendary) and B. Diana's ring was actually an oval, whereas mine is pear shaped.

This is right after we got engaged at the Morris Island Lighthouse 
in Charleston, SC. You can't really tell the shape of my 
ring in this picture, but it is my favorite picture of all time of me and LAS II:)

However, Diana was one of the women who influenced the hints to my wonderful hubby to go toward a sapphire rather than a diamond when shopping for my engagement ring. The other was my sophomore year English teacher from SHA, LaForrest Campbell, who, like Diana, sported an oval sapphire.

Wow, it is super easy for me to get off-topic, isn't it?
So back to my legendary trip to Owensboro.

5.  Preview Night




Our event was at the Riverpark. One of our Ambassadors, Paxton, came down on the bus to help out, which was great, because we were super duper busy tonight. Lot's of sophomores and juniors too. Which is great, because the earlier they start thinking about college, the better.

Oh my gosh. I can't believe I forgot to tell you all this! I always ask prospective students "so, what's your dream job?" because it always throws them off and starts up an interesting conversation. And last night one girl responded, "Well, I am going to take Ben Bernake's job." Really? Who honestly wants to be the Chairman of the Federal Reserve? If I said, Ben Bernake, and you didn't know who I was talking about...you need to watch the news more. Educate yourself. 

6. Meeting up with Mattie J for a nightcap!

Mattie J is one of LAS II's fraternity brothers, who happens to be a dentist here in the 'Boro. Mattie J happened to tutor me in Calculus while I was at UK. Calculus was my only "C" in college. Matt is very smart, however, not such a great tutor after a few Miller Light's at the DEKE house. I should've paid him with cash instead of beer, but at least I made it through Calculus, mind you, a subject I've not used since. I couldn't pass through town without saying hello...even though he is coming to Lex to visit us in a couple of weeks!

Tomorrow we are off to Elizabethtown. It's my third Hampton Inn in as many days, but tomorrow after Etown I get to return to Lexington and sleep in my own bed! This is great news, because currently the toilet in may bathroom is running nonstop, and the air conditioner is making a funny rumbling noise. No rest for the weary! See you in Elizabethtown!

No comments:

Post a Comment