Background

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Fall Reading List

I opted for a creative nonfiction literature class over a workshop class for the fall semester. My travel schedule does not lend itself to organized class meetings, so having a more flexible class setting will work better. Or so I thought. 



To be fair, some of these titles have been personally selected as well required. I will break them down into required and optional categories...


Best Essays of the Century, Joyce Carol Oates ((Required))
Desert Solitaire, Edward Abbey ((Required))


Molly Brown, Kristen Iversen ((Optional))
This summer, I was sooo fortunate to have Kristen Iversen as a professor during my Edinburgh Residency. Not only did I learn so much about writing from Kristen, but I also learned a lot about the industry based on her experience. Iversen's forthcoming book Full Body Burn won't hit stores until the spring...so I needed something to tide me over. I wanted to see how she writes without passive verbs ((her mantra in class)). 


Through My Eyes, Tim Tebow with Nathan Whitaker ((REQUIRED BY ME:)))
Need I say more? I mean really. I love me some Tim Tebow. I proudly smack my hands together in a big Gator chomp chomp chomp. I looked for a #15 jersey, but 1. they were sold out of my size, and 2. let's face it, I'm not cut out to wear a jersey anyway. Aside from just my love of TT, this book actually serves a dual purpose for me. The nonfiction project currently gathering dust in a binder on my desk includes 1. athletics, 2. me trying to figure out how to write in first person or third person direct from interviews, 3. a similar relationship between author and ghost writer. So I genuinely do need to see the format of this bad daddy. I'll keep you posted and post inspirational TT-isms

Heaven is for Real, Burpus ((Optional))
I'd like to believe that it is, so I'm always intrigued when I hear someone's already been there, and has returned to report on what they saw in Heaven. Expecting a box of Kleenex next to the lap for this one. 


Among School Children, Tracy Kidder ((Optional))
My professor, Bob Johnson ((better known as R. Dean Johnson in the literary world)), told me this would be a great read as I work on my own creative nonfiction novel.


An American Childhood, Annie Dillard ((Required))


The Boys of My Youth, Jo Ann Beard ((Required))
I loved her short story, "Fourth State of Matter," so I am sure I am going to love the full-length Beard requirement. 


Candyfreak, Steve Almond ((Required))
Almond visited our EKU winter residency in 2010, and proved to be both perverted and delightful, all at the same time. Another good pick by R. Dean Johnson.


Hiroshima, John Hersey ((Required))
This was also required for sophomore English at Sacred Heart Academy, and I do believe I wrote a scathing paper which Mrs. Hill promptly smoked cigarettes over...


This Boys Life, Tobias Wolff ((Required))
Heard great things...


The Right Stuff, Tom Wolfe ((Optional))
Another recommendation by R. Dean to expand my personal reading library. 


Good thing I'm a speed reader, huh? Got any other recommendations for me in the creative nonfiction realm?

1 comment: